viernes 22 de mayo de 2009

it's business time.

Forty-nine of us arrived to begin our lives in peach core Honduras in late February and, last week, forty-four of us swore in to become volunteers. For most of us the anticipation of arriving in our sites was unbearable; then there were the few who never wanted training to end.


Now it’s time to scatter throughout Honduras and plant our smiling faces around towns with populations ranging from one thousand to one hundred thousand (Catacamas, Olancho).

our itchy new shirts

Inauguration was short, sweet, and over before I had time to realize what had happened. And I woke up the next morning an official “volunteer” and my mug was in El Heraldo, the big Honduran newspaper.

inauguration
(going on day three without a shower
)

I completed my first week at my new job. I work at ADEL, which is an agency for the local economic development of Catacamas. They work with businesses ranging from carpenters to producers of dairy products. I have already been to 11 meetings, all in Spanish, most of which I haven’t a clue as to what was going on. In one meeting the only word I understood was leche. It was pretty pathetic.

I think I will start by re-designing their website. And although I have never designed a site before, I think it will be easier to learn this than financial Spanish right now.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario