lunes 24 de enero de 2011

pro surfer. couch, that is.

My peach core group recently had its Close Of Service Conference. Starting out as 50 invitees, arriving to country as 49, swearing in as 44 volunteers, only 26 of us remain. We are the survivors – of a country who has chewed us up and attempted to spit us out, we held on tight. There have been ups and downs; we have watched friends leave due to conflict with Trudy’s rules, men, guns, babies, machetes, health problems, and personal issues back at home.




Although I have only known my fellow volunteers for two years, they have become lifelong friends. I have gotten to know wonderful people from all over the States – Kansas, Colorado, Illinois, Maine, the Carolinas, D.C., Texas, Florida, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Washington, California, Michigan, New Jersey, New York...


My next step is ambiguous, with the exception of a one-way ticket to South America with two awesome people who guarantee entertainment & excitement simply with their presence.


In addition to great friendships, Honduras has taught me independence, acceptance, extreme patience, and how to stick up for myself. There have been a few great locals I have met in the midst of the heinous ones. I have learned to love the tranquil lifestyle, the fruit juice, and the tropical climate. I also love not worrying about car insurance, the nine-to-five, the law, or changing out of my PJs.


After South America (whenever that happens to be), my couch surfing journey begins. I will probably kick it off in Maine and end with a bang in Colorado. Then back to making money. I miss money.




On a side note, we recently voted on superlatives for our peach core group. I won “Most Likely to Break the Rules” but lost for “Most Likely to Get Kicked Out.” I must be doing something right.



“Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.”


- Dalai Lama

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario