jueves 25 de febrero de 2010

oral or cheese?

best thing received yet: my first visitors, Betty & Greg!

Sometimes the simple life down here becomes tough. Being alone in a strange place where you aren’t quite comfortable with the language. With your nearest friend hours away. Not being able to completely be yourself. I am definitely getting a new perspective on life and myself. I am also gaining an appreciation for the little things that seem to come my way.


proof that cute cats DO actually exist here


Little things like sitting under a full moon and a sky painted with stars, knowing that my sisters could be wishing on the same shooting stars. Or receiving a letter out of the blue from an old friend that sends me into snorting laughter. Sometimes it’s a phone call from a loved one just wanting to say hello.

It even makes me smile to receive company from the stinky cat who lives next door. Or better yet when I am invited over for a lovely dinner prepared with delicious cheese from the States.


handmade holiday cards
(the button-beans fell off and were interpreted as magic beans, edibles & smokeables)


Sitting on a park bench eating ice cream with someone yapping your ear off about the time they lived in your home country. And I thoroughly enjoy soaking my toes in the river while collecting rocks. Or finding out there is a package that awaits me knowing it was hand-packed with love.

It’s those little things that put a smile on my face – the simple things that we sometimes overlook or don’t take the time to do. I sometimes get lonely with all this time to myself. But when I start to pity myself, I take a step back and look at the big picture in all its beauty and wonderful little details…and I smile.


the infamous freezer

Today marks our one-year mark in country! I say "our" signifying all the great friends I have made here, making it possible to get through the rough times and continue this journey. Now, only 15 months left for you all to come visit.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario